Funny.... I thought of The Karate Kid tonight and it makes sense for all of life.
Wax on. Wax off.
The balance of life is just that simple.
If only we listened to Mr. Miyagi, we would know.
I listen to my children.
I learn everyday from them.
I adore each of them for every smile, laugh and tear tattooed on my heart.
Sometimes understanding where they're coming from is as simple as going back in my memory of my own childhood with my sister. She's two years younger than me. As an adult you tend to remember the funny stuff more than the sibling squabbles you may have had. I'm sure my sister would have her own version of these memories....remind me to ask her.
I adored my sister then and still do. Being the older sister I'm pretty dang sure she didn't always feel the love.
I mean for real? Super Star Ken was MINE and I was NOT sharing him with anyone. For the record, I sympathize with the younger sibling, they always think the older one has it made.
What will my children recall in their adult years?
She got an iphone first or he got any cell phone at a much earlier age than she did?
Can I help she's old enough to drive and he's not yet?
It's comical really if you stop and think about it. But trying to find the balance of making each feel as loved as the other can be a challenge. I used to think I felt it was harder because I was blessed to have one girl and one boy. Maybe it's easier for parents with same sex siblings? I'm not sure my mother would agree. She had two different children no matter what the chromosomes say.
My mother always told us she loved us the same. We've all heard it. Now I'm not saying my mom was lying... but I now know how hard it must have been to convince us of this truth. From the time they were born my children have heard the story of each of their births and know that both of them impacted my life in a way only they could have. Yes, mom was right in that she loved us the same..a love so great that I would give my life for both of them.
I would give either the last piece of chocolate cake if need be. (Seriously, that's love.)
But lets be honest....each can't be loved the same. They're completely different souls.
Traits from their father, traits from their mother, traits from the people who have helped mold their personalities.
They're just different.
But I know THIS...I will always try my best to make them feel as loved,
respected and treasured as they should feel.
The trick is to do so without making the other feel any less important to me than the other.
Balance is an ongoing work of heart.
"Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important." ~ Mr. Miyagi
Ps. Mom, thank you for loving both of us the same.... with all of your heart.
No comments:
Post a Comment